The first tax levy for a public library was granted in 1884. The Library opened for service in September, 1888, with 1,500 books.
The Library was in several locations before moving into the new building made possible by a gift of $50,000 from Andrew Carnegie. Dedicated December 5, 1902, the total project cost was $62,445.48.
Since that time the Carnegie building has been periodically remodeled, which made possible its continued public service. By 1984 the inadequacies of this building and site became evident. Study and planning led to numerous and extensive steps being taken to build a new library building. Funds for the project were secured by a bond sale of $8.475 million.
Late in 1989 construction work began, and library service moved to the new building in March 1991. Renovation of the Carnegie building began immediately thereafter and was completed in 1992
The Carnegie building now houses the local history and genealogy collections and the Library’s museum services. The museum features historical artifacts from Grant County including pioneer and Victorian exhibits, a collection of locally manufactured antique glass bottles and fruit jars, and a 1952 Crosley Super Sports automobile